Our Senior Companion Program (SCP) connects independent older adults with peers whose independence has been compromised. If you are blessed with the health, mental acuity, and the support system necessary to remain independent later in life, you can become a Senior Companion to pay that blessing forward by helping other seniors in Blair County stay independent too.
Senior Companions help people whose independence is compromised stay in their own homes by providing friendship, emotional support, and care to supplement that provided by family or professional caregivers. Ultimately, Senior Companions use kindness and compassion to make a difference that strengthens and helps preserve an individual’s independence and quality of life.
- Must be willing to serve within Blair County
- Must be 55 years of age or older
- Must have income that does not exceed 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
- Must commit to a minimum assignment schedule of 5 service hours per week.
- Must be willing to provide support service for the special needs of older adults
- Will receive in-home assignments
SCP Volunteer Benefits:
- An opportunity to use your experience and skills
- The chance to learn something new every day
- Supplemental accident and liability insurance
- Tax-exempt stipend
- Ongoing training throughout the service year
- Holiday & Paid Time Off
- Annual fellowship and recognition events
- Transportation Assistance (certain restrictions may apply)
Become a SCP volunteer today by contacting our SCP Coordinator:
Blair County SCP
1320 12th Avenue
Altoona, PA 16601
Senior Companion Program at Blair Senior Services, Inc
Blair Senior Services, Inc.’s Senior Companion Program volunteers help make a difference by providing friendship and assistance to adults with their daily living tasks enabling the person to remain independent in their own home. Drinking a cup of coffee together, talking about their day or remembering yesterday, playing a board game, watching a favorite television program, or taking a walk, being a Senior Companion is a great way to assist our older adults. For more information on participating in the Senior Companion Program, call (814) 946-1235.